A. MISSION STATEMENT OF THE ABBEY OF OUR LADY OF MONTSERRAT
As a Benedictine monastery, the Abbey of Our Lady of Montserrat is committed to the task of witnessing to Christ’s presence in the world through prayer, work, and common life. The monastery aims to help in strengthening the spirit of prayer in the Church and to witness the value of community life. While its primary activity is prayer, it places itself at the service of the Church and the Philippine society by responding to the need for Christian education. The apostolate of a Benedictine monastery is an extension of its prayer and common life, and therefore partakes of the character of a praying community.
B. VISION-MISSION STATEMENT OF SAN BEDA COLLEGE
San Beda College, a Catholic educational institution, is committed to the Christian formation of the Bedan Community as its service to the Church, the Philippine Society, and the world.
San Beda College envisions a Community that is
San Beda College aims to form its members in
and inculcate in them the Benedictine core values of prayer and work (ora et labora)
pursuit of peace
C. INSTITUTIONAL GOALS OF SAN BEDA COLLEGE
The task is three-fold:
1. To provide students with a relevant Christian education:
a. By assisting them in the attainment of higher self-realization as persons;
b. By developing their spiritual, moral, intellectual, social, and physical potentialities to the full extent of their capabilities,;
b.1. By giving them the necessary training for professional work grounded upon Christian values;
c. By creating opportunities that will enable them to dedicate themselves to a deeper commitment to Christ and His Church.
2. To facilitate the intellectual development of the students to the maximum:
a. By training them in the methods of scholarship, research, and creative endeavors;
b. By providing them with skills and experiences which will maximize their chance for meaningful, dignified life and responsible role in society;
c. By molding their attitude and strengthening their love for truth, peace, and justice.
3. To contribute to the progress of society:
a. By maintaining high standards in all programs engaged in;
b. By cooperating in the advancement of knowledge and culture;
c. By affording a working atmosphere conducive to the personal and professional growth of the personnel.
D. BASIC EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PHILOSOPHY AND GOALS OF EDUCATION
Committed to the Christian vision of man, inspired by the Benedictine ideals, adapting to the Filipino learner’s needs and situation, guided by the contemporary findings on learning processes and facilitating conditions, San Beda College Basic Education Department has evolved a philosophy of education which affirms:
1. that education is a life-long process of the “bringing forth”, the actualization of the limitless possibilities of the person;
2. that the school, in our age, is a phase in the process of a person’s growth, and is the formal facilitating factor in the child’s learning;
3. that communication is the process whereby a message becomes common to both the giver and the receiver of the communication;
4. that learning is the change effected in the life of a person due to exposure to an experience;
5. that teaching facilitates learning by putting together those conditions most conducive to learning;
6. that encounter, which is the meeting of persons in the context of respect and acceptance, is the necessary condition of learning.
As a Benedictine School and following fourteen centuries of Benedictine tradition, San Beda College Basic Education Department, administered by the monks of St. Benedict, offers what is authentically the monastic heritage.
Experience of the Gospel message of loving fellowship
Appreciation of the liturgy
Sensitive openness to the divine dimension of human life
disciplined pursuit of studies